Sunday, January 18, 2009

Slow Cooker French Onion Soup

3 to 4 medium to large onions, sliced into rings
2 to 3 tablespoons butter
3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
French baguette, cut into thin slices
1 (8 ounce) bag grated Italian blend cheese

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and saute’ until tender. In a slow cooker, combine broth, water, Worchestershire sauce, bay leaves, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in onions and butter. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves.

When ready to serve, lightly toast bread slices until just crusty. Place one to three slices in each soup bowl. Top each slice with 1 tablespoon chesse. Ladle onions and broth over bread and cheese.


* I used 3 onions and beef bullion. I did not add the ¾ cup of water. Also, I am noticing that I totally did not follow the recipe. I did not read the recipe all of the way through!!! – I did not saute’ the onions before I put them in the slow cooker! I just dumped everything in the cooker and turned it on. I think I would do it the same way when I make it again!